Re: [CQ-Contest] Thing that drive me nuts

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Thing that drive me nuts
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2016 10:39:51 -0700
I am seeing this much more lately as well. I have QSK and still notice this or I miss the first dit or dah.

W0MU

On 12/5/2016 9:30 AM, David Pruett wrote:
I've been contesting for 40+ years and I've never felt that sending "test" at the end of a contest CQ has ever hurt my rate. Is it absolutely necessary? No...but I do think that it helps to attract more of the casual operators by making the intent of my transmission clear.

I've read the comments in this thread and while there are no shortage of opinions, I saw no compelling arguments. Therefore I will continue to format my contest CQs in a manner which my experience has shown results in the best rate for me, not for some hotshot with an itchy F4 finger who MIGHT happen to be tuning by.

The thing which drives me nuts are the lids that start sending their call before I've finished sending. My xcvr switches back to receive and the station calling me is already sending the second digit of his call. This is not a CW VOX delay problem as my CW PTT is controlled by the computer which releases simultaneously with the last CW element. (Yes, I'm a retired engineer and wrote my own logging software so I KNOW that's how it works.)

Scenario:

me:    CQ TEST K8CC TEST
other: 2XYZ
me:    2XYZ?
other: 2XYZ
me:    ?2XYZ
other: 2XYZ
me:    2XYZ NO QSK HR DAMMIT
other: N2XYZ

Disclaimer - the callsign N2XYZ is shown simply as an example. No doubt the station was simply trying to get the QSO done quickly, but he's killing his own rate. Doing it on the initial call might be a simple timing mistake, but doing it over and over (I am not exaggerating about this) shows a lack of situational awareness on the part of the other op.

Establishing and completing communication is at the core of contesting. This requires more that just a fast keyer speed and transmitting without a sense of timing...

FWIW...just my humble opinion.

Dave K8CC