[CQ-Contest] Contesting In General

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contesting In General
From: Joe <nss@mwt.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 08:38:42 -0600
Contesting in General...

I have a few thoughts on this too. While it seems Contesting in general is an middle age to old fart activity. Yet to me, it is far better suited to younger folk both physically and mentally, just like any other competitive activity.

My own Personal Contesting history, Been doing it since 1975 when I was a new novice only licensed for two months, Till this time now. I was very active, But I know now, that both Mentally and Physically I am not what I was all those years ago.

Two Prime examples,

Mentally,
I was a serious and very active VHF 2 Meters weak signal operator. And would every year participate in the June ARRL VHF Contest. It was nothing to stay awake and operate the whole time. 30+ Hours! BUT....... Now? Never could do it. If I am not making a contact at least once ever 5 minutes I'm falling asleep even in the middle of the day. I must have the stimulus of activity to keep going.
Making only 100 contacts in 24 hours will not keep me awake anymore.

Physically,
Somewhat related to the above, where I need to have activity to keep going. This is still true even on a Popular HF contest Where you should be able to make a contact every 5 minutes he he he. But I know I could NOT do what I used to do all those years ago.

CQWW Contest!

In my younger years, ( Wow I sound like the old farts on 75 meters ) I would wake up at 4 AM Friday morning get ready for work, and make the wonderful commute in the Chicagoland portable parking lots called expressways to get to work in time to start at 6AM

I'd work till 3PM, drive home, hopefully get home by 4PM, clean up, eat something, and hit the road again trying to get to the guys station I will be operating at before the start of the contest at 6PM.

Then operate the whole contest non stop, except for bathroom breaks.

Contest ends at 6PM Sunday Stop and BS with Station owner having pizza and beers while listening to 3830.

Fuinally hed for home at 9PM, clean up and hit the bed at say 11PM or so, Been awake and doing a physical and mental task for almost 70 hours!

Only to wake up at 4 AM to start the Mondays work again and not feel tired or anything at all.

Geez,  I cant even do that in a 24 hour contest anymore!

Here is a question,,,,, or several...

Has anyone tried to chart out the age of the current group of contesters?

How about years ago vs now?

OR How about, if possible what percentage of the amateur population participate in contests?

They say we have far more amateurs now than we have ever had.
In 1958  The ham population is 160,000--  3 times the 1946 total.
I wonder what percentage played in Contests?

In 1978 a time I remember contesting in my life being HUGELY Popular, The amateur population stands at 350,000
--
33% more than in the early 70's. Again is there any way to learn what percentage did contests?

You all get my point here, we have today what over 800 thousand in the USA alone! A Google question says worldwide there are 2.6 Million in the world.

Now what percentage does contests? And what can we do to make it higher number?

Joe WB9SBD