[CQ-Contest] Press Release: WRTC 2018 is coming - 500 days to go

To: wrtc2018@lists.wrtc2018.de, cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Press Release: WRTC 2018 is coming - 500 days to go
From: "Michael Hoeding, DL6MHW" <dl6mhw@wrtc2018.de>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 15:10:33 +0100
Wittenberg/Jessen 27th February 2017

   WRTC 2018 is coming - 500 days to go

Often the WRTC is rightly referred to as the Olympic Games of Radio Sport. “Olympiad” originally meant the the period between the actual Olympic Games. There are now just 500 days in our “Olympiad” until the opening ceremony. A lot has already happened - but there is still a lot left to be done and time flies.

     Current facts and figures

 * 60% of needed funds have been raised
 * 11 ham fairs have been visited
 * 94 presentations given in clubs and at meetings
 *  > 40 articles published in magazines and newspapers
 * 80 conference calls have taken place
 *  > 1,000 WWQR Awards issued
 * 58,000 QSOs with D*0WRTC have taken place
 * Several major sponsoring contracts are in place
 * 23 international ambassadors have been assigned
 * 14 national ambassadors have been assigned
 * 40 Tents have been Sponsored
 * 3 Teams have been Sponsored
 * The qualification process is finished
 * The competition rules are drafted
 * 160 possible sites have been evaluated
 * Antennas, masts and rotators have been selected and tested
 * The first large test session has been completed

Several of the component projects are approaching a stable state however some projects are requiring more work than expected. We are on schedule and are proud to be the host. A great number of volunteers support the organisation of the WRTC and dedicate many hours of their time for this very special event.

     Voices and feelings from the team

*DL1RTL - Heiko*(Volunteer): As a volunteer during the test day 2016 I have already helped in a team to set up a site For me WRTC 2018 offers the unique chance of being part of a genuine international championship.

*DL9ZWG - Wolfhard*(Treasurer): To me the WRTC 2018 means I have the opportunity to be a small part of a large group of “maniacs” who organise this extraordinary Amateur Radio Sport event in Germany. I particularly appreciate the fact that in the WRTC all teams have to compete under almost identical conditions (including similar site conditions).

*DK9VZ - Wolfgang*(Fundraising): I am very glad that we got the chance to present the international event WRTC here in Germany. I really don’t have a lot of free time but I´d like to contribute as much as I can to the success of WRTC 2018.

*DL3DXX -Dietmar*(Log checking): I introduced computer aided log checking in the 90`s for the WAEDC together with DL2DN. Invented STF log description as internal log format long before Cabrillo came up but never made it public. WRTC 2018 means for me to organize log checking of WRTC participants with the special characteristic that checking must be done during 24 hours time frame. This is a new approach for me and requires not only to get the checking software running but furthermore to install a team of helpers to define the checking procedures and to split the work among all team members with the approach to check as much as possible during the given time to make checking procedures fair for all teams.

*DJ3WE*(Fundraising): It is most fascinating for me that - for the first time in my life - I can and may make use of all my skills, be it amateur radio or the command of the English language as well as playing and negotiating on an international stage. There is one particular matter that occasionally makes me sweat, the high expectations worldwide regarding our organisational skills given that we are up to now a very small group, too small..

*DL1MGB*(President): For me as a part-time organizer of DXpeditions WRTC 2018 is like 65 DXpeditions; a major difference is that we don't have to travel anywhere in 2018, rather the world comes to us! - for me WRTC 2018 is a perfect, unrestricted, way to bring together a lot of different ham radio groups into one large project.

*DJ2YA*(): For WRTC2018 I will be doing my best to provide the same “level playing field” for each location as well as helping with translations into English. As a WRTC-veteran (San Francisco, Bled and Florianapolis) I consider WRTC 2018 in Germany as the pinnacle event.

*DL4ST - Steffen*(Volunteer): As a member of the DARC district board for Saxony-Anhalt I am proud that a portion of our members are commited to taking an active role in the organisation and preparation of the WRTC.

*DM6DX - Robby*(Ambassador-Berlin / Camping): As regional ambassador I have recruited a complete team of volunteers… … the accommodation requirements are on track and before the test days in June we will have choosen the final tent model. ...the chairs can be evaluated soon. Just purchasing 130 suitable desk lamps has proved to be quite a challenge.

*DK4QT - Dieter*(AC-Member): I would like use my capabilities to support the WRTC team and help to ensure a successful WRTC 2018. During 2017 I will advertise the event to possible WRTC helpers in DARC District N.

*DJ9MH - Hajo*(WRTC Award): Since the WRTC in California I have followed this championship attentively and worked its competitors. In Bled my xyl and I had the chance to have a closer look at the event. I attended the initial meeting of “WRTC 2018 e.V” which resulted in my allocation as an WRTC award manager and administrator of the special WRTC call signs

*DJ6DC*(Consultant): I am the designer of the basic concept ”outdoor Facilities” I manage all interface definitions and operational plans and where possible also financial contributions... for me the WRTC 2018 is the pinnacle and a trend-setting event.

*DF8XC*(Volunteer): WRTC 2018 gives me the chance to get to know the leading contesters.

*DL2MLU*(PR): To contribute to something great, to be there and live the experience.

*DL8OBF - Uwe*(AC-Member): I am a member of the Advisory Committee for the WRTC 2018. I am also responsible for the competition-rules and response to any related questions raised. I am pleased to see the WRTC in Germany and to have the opportunity to display our hospitality to the visitors..

*DL2RSF - Wolfgang*(Volunteer): After applying to become a volunteer I joined a teamonthe test day at Jessen. For me erecting antennas is particularly exciting and interesting. Good health provided I’ll certainly take part in the test daysin2017 and in any case in the actual event in 2018. Once more I’ll be looking forward to making friends with other volunteers and participants

*DL9GFB - Franz*(Consultant): I will be available as needed, to help with any "jobs" during WRTC 2018 WRTC 2018 = Most important event for Ham Radio in Germany!

*DL2MLU Luise*(Fundraising - Kacheln): For me WRTC means to contribute to something great, to be part of it and enjoythe experience

*DK1DSA Ralf*(Volunteer, Hospitality): As a radio amateur in Wittenberg I’m happily looking forward to such a great event in my home region. I am curious about the world’s best contesters andthis veryexciting contest with its field-day characteristics, of which,until now,I have only been able to read about. In 2018 I’ll be volunteerthereas everything can be reached on foot orbicycle.

*DL6RAI - Ben*(IT-Manager): Providing IT services before and during WRTC 2018 requires special know how. We are happy to have built a great team that maintains several different web sites, provides 65 logging computers for the online-scoring function and created a custom web-based application to manage data and documents of the 65 different sites. Expectations are high and we are working on meeting them.

*DM5EE - Uli*(Volunteer): WRTC 2018 will put the German amateur radio community in the limelight and many friends from all over the world will gather here for the competition. It is a huge event that will present many challenges preparing for it but which will be a lifetime experience that I am anxiously looking forward to.

*DH8BQA - Olli*(PR-Team): Wrote few articles on WRTC technical related matters for German HAM magazines cqDL and FUNKAMATEUR. Assisting antenna director every now and then. Wish I had much more time available for WRTC organization. WRTC 2018 will be THE biggest event in German Amateur Radio history, at least from a contesting perspective.

     About WRTC 2018

The World Radiosport Team Championships (WRTC) are held every four years and assemble more than 60 two-operator-teams of the world’s best radio contesters on a level playing field. Quite different from their usual contesting they must use identical equipment in the same geographical region eliminating all variables except their personal skills. Previous WRTCs were held in Seattle/USA (1990), San Francisco/USA (1996), Slovenia (2000), Finland (2002) Brazil (2006) Russia (2010) and New England/USA (2014).

--

Michael Höding, DL6MHW
Vice-President, Fundraising, PR