[CQ-Contest] Multi 2

To: Cq Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Multi 2
From: Wes Jennings <wjennings2011@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 19:05:45 +0000
Ok I am seeing again the whole remove and make new contest classes. Why do we
continually complain about how xyz has this or that advantage and they always
win. Guess what Improve what you have and compete and quit worrying about how
they have advantages.

At the present time I am setting up multi 2 at the house why, because the GF
likes to operate in the contests as do I, so radio time is the important thing.
Also have others in the station to operate during the bigger contests. Now
doing this means I will be running 100W as off grid and antenna systems are not
designed for 1K. Will I be competitive NO just for that reason not to mention
that I am also in Alaska.

This means I am working on antennas and trying to get every contact out of the
100w. Interfaces/Radios/Antenna systems are things we all can improve upon even
the Big Guns. Operating time and learning how to use all of this effectively is
very important also. Lets get on this track of thinking instead of I am a
victim track.

The Big Guns have alot of information to share, I am sure they would be more
then willing to share it. But I can see where they would not wish to share it
here with all the bickering and complaining. The issues I have here is not
receive, unlike alot of places but rather getting more gain out of the transmit
signal. Or novel idea is possibly getting better receive in other locations so
weak signals can be heard.

Why is it that if I hit the RBN or am spotted I will 8-10, be worked by the big
stations back east almost instantaneous. This is because they can hear me and
are willing to work thru the exchange. Points and mults are one thing, that is
the operators responsibility and of course the antennas but alot of it is
watching and operating the station to its max capabilities. We all could use
suggestions on how to do such from our locations and stations. And I am not
just talking about the Big Guns ...

I am totally revamping the antenna farm here to incorporate running multi2,
also the station. So many options and ideas; what ones will produce the best
and what ones can I afford to do. How can I make the station More FUN for new
hams to make mistakes operating and learn. How do I get more Q's in the log to
show people that YES you can get on from up here with 100W and WAS in a weekend
or DXCC in a weekend and no the bands are not DEAD but just open to other
places. Basically get more on the air which means more q's in the contests.

if you don't like the contest categories because you can't win in them, try
working with others in you area and state and do the contest but have your own
categories that your group will be able to compete and measure themselves
against.

Lets just keep in mind this is a hobby to have fun with and learn and grow!!!!

Wes,

WL7F

Contest Station

KL4SD