[CQ-Contest] PJ4G ARRL DX SSB Recording by N2IC

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] PJ4G ARRL DX SSB Recording by N2IC
From: Jeff Clarke <ku8e@ku8e.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2017 23:56:36 -0400
N2IC wrote :

Listen to 21345.4 and 21237.1 at the same time.

Falls under the "what is not specifically prohibited is allowed" rule ?

And

For those that missed it....

http://www.kkn.net/~n2ic/PJ4G.mp3 <http://www.kkn.net/%7En2ic/PJ4G.mp3>

21345.4 on one audio channel, 21237.1 on the other audio channel.

Sorry for the late reply to this but after reading the comments on Steve's post
and the replies I felt the need to comment on this.

Some background...

K4BAI and myself have been operating from the PJ4G station as PJ4A for CW
contests since the mid -2000's. A few years ago the club started using a remote
receive antennas a good distance away from the transmit antennas. Two short
towers - one pointed to the USA with a tribander and a SAL loop at the same
location. There is also a EU receive site with a tribander pointed to Europe
and also a EU beverage. Because these receive antennas are connected via coax
they are legal within the rules for both the ARRL and CQWW contests. In fact
W4PA has visited us several times during their PJ4Q trips for CQWW DX CW and
has never made a comment that this wasn't within the rules. This answers the
question some people had on how you can have two stations on the same band
without much interference.

The 2nd point : Maybe N2IC is confusing the ARRL DX rules with those of CQWW ?
Alternating CQ's on the same band are prohibited in CQWW contests but not in
ARRL contests.

CQWW Rules :

Only one signal on a band is allowed at any time. When two or more transmitters
are present on the same band, a hardware device MUST be used to prevent more
than one signal at any one time. Alternating CQs   on two or more frequencies
on a band is not permitted.

ARRL Rules:

I looked at the ARRL DX rules and the HF General Contest Rules and I don't see
anything that prohibits alternating CQ's on the same band. I don't think the
comment W3LPL made about ARRL DX is correct... or I'm missing finding it in the
rules.

The only ARRL contest that has this rule is IARU for Multi_Single entries :

*4.3.2.1. *Alternating CQs on two or more frequencies on the same band is not
permitted.

Note : 1.2.General Rules for HF and VHF contests take precedence over General
Rules for all contests.

http://www.arrl.org/arrl-dx
http://www.arrl.org/general-rules-for-all-arrl-contests
http://www.arrl.org/general-rules-for-arrl-contests-below-30-mhz

PJ4G was Multi-Multi so the only rule that would apply to them is :

*2.3.3.Multioperator Multi-transmitter:*

*2.3.3.1. *A maximum of one transmitted signal per band at any given time.

 There are lockout devices at the PJ4G station. The 2nd in-band radio shares
the same amplifier and antenna as the run station. There is a device (I think
Ameritron makes it?) that allows you to use an AL1200 with two radios and
isolates one when the other transmits. So it would be impossible for them to
have two signals on the same band at the same time.

Jeff KU8E / PJ4A team

---