Re: [CQ-Contest] what is required of recevied audio, and whay

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] what is required of recevied audio, and whay
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 13:56:46 -0700
Certainly it's fair, Jeff. Ham radio is a TECHNICAL hobby. Part of being a good contester is building a competitive station, and I have a lot more respect for those who have done so than for those who have not. And most of us who have done so have done it with a lot of help from friends.

The technical side of our hobby is so broad that few of us know much about all of it. K6XX has published some tutorial stuff on recording a contest, and there's a lot of material on my website. There's no reason why someone who has learned enough (I didn't say memorized Q&A) to pass an Extra exam can't record contest audio. The most it takes is a recording medium (could be a computer), some patch cables that you either build or buy, and getting levels set reasonably well. To make the cables, you may need to open the manual for your radio.

73, Jim K9YC