Re: [CQ-Contest] A bandpass filter design

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A bandpass filter design
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 11:45:51 -0700
Thanks Peter.

Bear in mind that bandpass filters between transceiver and power amplifier will protect the receiver, and double stubs, optimally located along the transmission line, can provide more than 70 dB suppression of the amplifier's second harmonic (in addition to the 30-40 dB provided by the amplifier's output network).

http://k9yc.com/LocatingStubs.pdf

I'm using stubs like these on the amplifier output in addition to 5B4AGN's excellent TXBPF filter sets. See slides 16-20 in http://k9yc.com/7QP.pdf for a practical installation.

Suitable stubs can be built, tuned, and installed for far less than the cost of a high power bandpass filter -- it's the cost of the coax, connectors, and adapters (Tees and barrels), and any decent RG8 or RG213 can handle far more than the 1.5kW output that's legal in much of the world.

73, Jim K9YC