Re: [CQ-Contest] What does Multi mean to me?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] What does Multi mean to me?
From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@arrl.org>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 09:40:21 -0400
Multi to me means a fellow or group which has megabuckz to devote to ham radio. For those contests which do NOT have a separate multi-single, it probably discriminates against the multi-single (and multi-two)..

For almost 40 years I had 16 acres in a rather remote site, which wasn't ideal for a multi-multi, bu I could have afforded one had I wished. When we moved to Michigan, it took >6 months to find the place we now have which has 9+ acres and no CC&R's, so I could put up a "fair" multi-multi station if I so wished.

But, the "QRP Nut" in me blossemed for the 2nd time, and since about 2007, single op, 1 rig, 5 watts or less, wire antenna "has never ceased to amaze me as to what it can do."

I realize this is the wrong forum to write about this, but I don't get much of a kick about "preaching to the choir." I HAVE operated as part of a fairly respectable multi-multi, and multi-single team, and find tha such is boring after the first hour or two when the initial rush of a couple hundred per hour is over. Running one of those stations is like shooting wingless ducks in a pond. You find where there are, figure out the best antenna for the hop, and "bang" you have your contacts. All $$'s, little skill. If I, otherwise known as "MR LID" personified, can hit a preponderance of these contacts after the first or second try, any "real" operator must be "really bored."

I invite any of the readers o compete in the SO QRP category. That's where I find fun, fun, fun.

72/73 de n8xx Hg
QRP >99.44% of the time