[CQ-Contest] Dayton Traffic - per the organizers on Sunday

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Dayton Traffic - per the organizers on Sunday
From: Kimo Chun <kimochun@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2017 19:13:20 -0400
If you attended the prize drawing held in a combined Forum 1 & 2 rooms
(rather than the covered grandstand of the track - a good place to sit and
eat in the shade albeit a bit further to walk) you would have heard the
explanation for the Friday traffic.

Hamvention wanted special controlled traffic to allow two lanes in. The
city engineer said NO. But, after the first day experience, the local
Sheriff said otherwise and arranged for both lanes to flow in as needed. I
presume that may happen as the norm next year.

I can't speak for the other parking spots further away but when we ran into
the backup on Friday at the main light at Hollywood Blvd and 86 (was it)
from the North we turned left and went the block or two to the Xenia H.S.
and parked there. We caught the school bus to a rear paved lot used
exclusively for this service and caught the tractors towing carts that
handled around 30 plus people that delivered you to a paved turnaround
circle at the main entrance. There were also multi-passenger golf carts
that did the same circuit for those less mobile to climb up on the large
trailers.

Buses from at least 2 or 3 other locations also dropped off there as there
was a line of signs  indicating where to stand to catch a return bus. The
buses sometimes changed destinations as loads demanded. Also, the tractors,
upon yelling a request would also stop along the western field of parking
it passed on its travels.

In my opinion, unless you are parking in the ADA area, don't park at the
fairgrounds unless there is NO rain. I saw a couple of cars that needed to
be towed out by something. Go directly to the free parking at any location
and take the buses (with extremely friendly and courteous drivers - heck
everyone was very, very courteous and helpful). You should not plan on
parking in the neighborhoods (even by the back entrance to this bus lot).
Some are posted as being closed but to local traffic and you really don't
want to make the neighbors mad.

The High School had people (raising money for the football team) selling
warm or cold bottled water $1, coffee and, at first, some doughnuts and
there were two portapotties way on the other end of the building (not sure
why) that are available. Maybe an 80 yard round trip.

I'd wear cheap disposable shoes and/or bring garden boots. Though one tent
put out some hay that helped a little at their entrance I wonder if they'd
allow that elsewhere as it might be a monumental clean up of their
beautiful thick grass later.

In all, an excellent experience for a first try at the new location.
Though, I'm not holding my breath for a few spots of paved improvements, I
think they learned some lessons. Yes, a few more spots for covered seating
for eating would be good. That walk to the grandstand from the central food
court approaches a hundred yards.

The TV monitors for the hourly prizes are mounted back to back in the
middle of each major building (so they said as I only looked at one). Not
sure about the tents. I don't know if they'll do major prize drawing as
originally planned in the grandstand or stay in Forum 1 /2 (Standing room
only but not too bad. Lots of chairs and air conditioning).

Looks like there's two or three major paths to get to the area as it is due
West of downtown Dayton. We stayed along the Vegas strip (Miller Lane
paralleling 75 from the Benchwood Rd exit up to Little York Road just below
the 70 / 75 junction which is finally done (I didn't come last year). No
real problems getting there (High School) just before 9 am. Now, both
inside and outside open at 9 am - good - can sleep later.

The 25th anniversary Contest Dinner was great. DX Dinner was okay but the
food wasn't quite as good IMHO.

Our JA friends got delayed in Chicago due to rain storms so we ate dinner
around 11:15 pm on Thursday night at the Oakwood Club restaurant. I kept
delaying our reservation for 7 for a couple of hours as the delays mounted.
Great steakhouse and general fair place (Crabcakes were good according to
several in our group). A touch pricey but worth it and their kitchen closed
at 11:30 pm (even later on weekends). Blue jeans okay.

I'll be back with our KH6 gang (and JA).

Kimo  KH7U

​