Re: [CQ-Contest] KU1CW location

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] KU1CW location
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2017 10:50:27 -0700
Peter,

You have apparently read only a few select sections of the FCC Rules, and fail to understand their concept of a "control operator." That concept is, for example, also the basis of repeater operation on the VHF and UHF bands. The "control operator" is the licensed person responsible for the proper (legal) operation the repeater, and except for rare periods of maintenance (repair), is NEVER present at the transmitter site, but is required to have a reliable method of preventing illegal (unauthorized) operation.

This concept applies equally to ANY licensed station, whether operated remotely or by an operator who sits at the station. A ham remotely operating a station via the internet is NOT the "control operator" -- he/she is simply operating that station via remote control under the supervision/monitoring of the "control operator." The problem here is one of words and phrases that can (and here, DO) have multiple meanings depending how they are used. If, for example, the remote operator does something wrong, the "control operator," as defined by FCC Rules, must be capable of determining that is happening and stop the improper operation.

Like many OT hams, I've worked at AM, FM, and TV broadcast stations, studied both Amateur and Broadcast FCC Rules since the late '50s, and understand these concepts. Until it was discontinued, I held a First Class Radiotelephone license, and since I was no longer working in broadcast, didn't bother to maintain the equivalent. There's still a very thick copy of several Parts of the FCC Rules on my bookshelf, and for years, I received regular updates. :) The word "Parts" here means the large sections of the Rules, each with its own number, defining and applicable to various kinds of licenses and operation.

73, Jim K9YC