Re: [CQ-Contest] third-party communications in DX contests (was: KU1CW l

To: <sawyered@earthlink.net>, "'Dick Green WC1M'" <wc1m73@gmail.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] third-party communications in DX contests (was: KU1CW location)
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2017 02:41:27 -0400
Ed,

Part 97 doesn't define a status for *any* operator other than the station
licensee and the control operator, both of whom are responsible for proper
operation of the station. It doesn't say anything about other licensed
amateurs who initiate transmissions under the auspices of the control
operator, nor does it say anything about unlicensed persons who might
initiate a transmission. It only talks about who the FCC will hold
responsible for proper operation, and whose license privileges set the
limits for transmissions.

You say the use of a station by an unlicensed person under the auspices of a
control operator is an obvious issue, but isn't the use of a station by a
lower-class licensee under the auspices of a control operator just as
obvious an issue? We've always assumed this is allowed (c.f., a General
Class licensee operating with Extra Class privileges on Field Day at a
station with a control operator holding an Extra class license), but I
couldn't find any text in Part 97 that says explicitly says so. It simply
doesn't mention other licensed or unlicensed operators.

I don't believe they have any status at all. The way the rules are written,
it looks like the FCC expects there to be one, and only one, control
operator, and all transmissions are treated as having been initiated by the
control operator, who is held responsible. They don't seem to care about
anyone else in the room, except in the case where a message is being sent on
behalf of a third party who participates in the transmission. I've already
covered my position on the phrase "on behalf", and that DX contest messages
are sent on behalf of the control operator.

Further, nowhere in Part 97 does it say that the control operator has to be
the person who is actually transmitting. It only says the control operator
is responsible for the transmissions.

Now, I did find a couple of definitions that could suggest no one but the
control operator can set the frequencies, modes, power, etc. used by the
station when transmitting:

(31) Local control. The use of a control operator who directly manipulates
the operating adjustments in the station to achieve compliance with the
FCC Rules.

(39) Remote control. The use of a control operator who indirectly
manipulates the operating adjustments in the station through a control link
achieve compliance with the FCC Rules.

But if we take those definitions at face value, even licensed operators of
multi-op stations aren't allowed to touch any station adjustment, like
frequency, mode, power, etc. I have a hard time believing that's the FCC's
intent.

73, Dick WC1M