Re: [CQ-Contest] Alpha 87A

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Alpha 87A
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 11:53:07 -0700
The latest owner of TenTec and Alpha has been repairing them, and a key tech staff is still there (in CO) doing it. A few months ago, I exchanged email with him. They're also building and selling new amps. The operation is somewhat limited by capital, so the support staff is purposely thin. No telephone support, contact via email only, and the person who responds to email works only a few days a week. Reports on the Ten Tec reflector say that service is good.

alpharfsystems.com

Here's an excerpt from email from a local ham, retired EE, smart guy, who needed service on an 89. He was quite happy with the repair work, which was prompt.

73, Jim K9YC

I investigated several guys who fix Alpha 87 and 89 amps. Glenn, the official factory guy has a 3 month backlog and one can only communicate with him by email. Dick Byrd N4UQ is a rather well known repair guy for Alpha amps in Georgia. Trouble is he is most known for his knowledge and stock of parts for the really OLD amplifiers like the Alpha 77s, 78s and 374s. He is not intimately familiar with the circuits in the Alpha 87 or 89. He recommended Brad a 17 year Alpha ex employee who trained Glenn and helped design the Alpha 9500. He is an expert on all of the circuits in the Alpha 78 and 89. I spoke with him for half an hour and he does indeed know what he is doing. Best of all he is also in Colorado and three days away by FedEX ground. He has all the parts including the long discontinued high voltage FETs and bipolar transistors
that are used in both the Alpha 87 and 89. He even has pin diodes.

I sent him the Alpha 89 yesterday. I will get there Thursday. Brad will check it out thoroughly and repair it ailments. As the tubes are fine I expect to receive a fully functional amplifier.
Brad said his turn around time could be as short as a week, two weeks max.