Re: [CQ-Contest] `150 watt limit question

To: Frank Donovan <donovanf@starpower.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] `150 watt limit question
From: Jukka Klemola <jpklemola@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2017 16:39:27 +0300
100W output is adequate for nearly all today's transmitters.

IMD properties for the expensive transceiver boxes are much better than at
200W out.
These hams set the power output to 100W. They set it to 100W because they
can.
Everything is well inside the specifications.

For the hams with less fortune, 100W is just the right amount of power so
they get all juice out of the power supply and radio stays operational
through the contest.
Everything is just within the specifications.

Then there are the hams with less fortune but plenty creativity, who modify
their transceivers and force the power supply to output overly much current.
Everything outside specifications.

The power meter shows 124 Watts! Sad side is the 24 Watts is all over the
band, not on the 'output channel'.

Their output is outside the specifications.
They spread around the bands with overly spreading signal. In engineering
terms, they show much poorer IMD spec.
Their radios suffer all kinds of symptoms and the radio lifetime expectancy
is often less than a contest.

There sure is logic in 100W limit.
100W limit suits the typical hams just fine.

Frank dives into memories .. year .. year 1982.. crystal controlled
transmitter. 4.5 or maybe 5W out of a BLY88.

I like more the modern radios with frequency dials than my first XTAL TX.

73,
Jukka OH6LI