Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting from HOA neighborhoods -- Pro and Con on the

To: CQ Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting from HOA neighborhoods -- Pro and Con on the Amateur Radio Parity Act
From: "Bob Wilson, N6TV" <n6tv@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 10:44:05 -0700
First, I am not aware of any study or evidence to support the claim that
ham antennas harm property values.  All I know is that the house right
behind me in densely populated Silicon Valley sold easily at least three
times since I put up my 89' motorized crank-up over 28 years ago, and it
always sold at higher and higher prices.

Lenders may require CC&Rs for other reasons, but antenna restrictions
should play no significant role.

As retired FCC attorney N3JT points out in his rebuttal to the ARRL
<http://files.constantcontact.com/40babb3f001/cd81cb95-e983-494b-a16a-13dfa693870a.pdf>
:

"While ARRL suggests that HOA limits on antennas can be blamed on lenders,
HOAs always have had the right to allow antennas. At best, ARPA gives HOA
boards the ability to hide behind federal law to deny permission for any
antenna other than perhaps a small whip for 2m on a railing behind a
single-family home in a community. Aesthetics as a basis for denial now
becomes federal mandate (instead of a contractual issue) under standards
that can be easily subverted into an outright denial. How this is not worse
than matters now stand is mystifying, unless of course the HOA board is
inclined toward granting antennas in the spirit of ARPA. That could happen,
and to that extent, ARPA would be helpful. But then there is reality."

73,
Bob, N6TV