Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 179, Issue 21

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>, Eric Gruff <egruff@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 179, Issue 21
From: RT Clay <rt_clay@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 14:23:19 +0000 (UTC)

> One thing that I wonder - why does SS start so late on Saturday? It's 2 PM
> Pacific and 5 PM Eastern, which leads
> to a Sunday eve/night finish for most  folks. If it started 3 or 4 hours
> earlier, not only would it be more "prime
> time" both days, but we'd all probably enjoy the extra three hours of
> propagation on 20 M (and maybe 15) at
> the start. This seems like an easy, non-controversial change that will make
> the final few hours of the contest
> more user-friendly for almost everyone.

NO. This will just increase the already large advantage of being out west.
While 15m Sweepstakes propagation might be enjoyable to stations out west, if
you live in the east coast or midwest it is not. From here for example in
northern MS, normally my skip zone on 15m extends all the way to about W1/CT.
There is no way for eastern stations to work other SS participants in the
eastern half of the country on 15/10. If any of these stations are also not on
the low bands, we have no way to work them at all. Shifting the times earlier
and removing the after sunset time on Sunday will give even less incentive for
eastern stations to get on.

I don't know if this was the original intent, but with 30 total hours, the
start and finish times of SS are such that a location in the middle of the
country gets roughly equal amounts of daytime and nightime during the contest.

Tor
N4OGW