Re: [CQ-Contest] Youth / Newer hams in contesting

To: robert f beaudoin <wa1fcn@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Youth / Newer hams in contesting
From: Sterling Coffey <kawfey@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 13:16:01 -0500
Bob,

This is absolutely the way of the elmer, so much so that it should be in
the DX Code of Conduct! A listing (especially an ARRL-hosted searchable
listing) of "public" shacks with photos, descriptions, and contact info,
would go a long way, I think.

One barrier to knock down is the hesitancy of new hams to contact random
hams they've found on a list to ask to learn about and operate the hosted
station - nevermind the parental/privacy/trust/etc issue that's a hallmark
of today's generations. I think an excellent way of preventing this is
assigning them a trusted elmer at their test session, who can either share
his or her own shack or know exactly who's shack is available and take the
initiative to schedule time for the new ham to operate it.

Another method is remoting your unused stations and offering free - but
limited - use to young hams. This takes the challenge of 1) dealing with
face-to-face interpersonal interactions (either be it a parental-trust
concern or because of the youth's own introversion) and 2) logistics and
planning away, and puts the technology squarely into the domain of today's
youth. RemoteHamRadio has an excellent Youth Program
<http://www.remotehamradio.com/youth/>, and an alternative is
http://www.remotehams.com/ but it's a little more challenging to use, but
still gets the point across. I think there needs to be a lot more activity
surrounding "remotification" of ham radio - it's certainly headed in the
right direction!

--
Sterling, N0SSC
n0ssc.com | YouTube <http://youtube.com/n0ssc> | Twitter