Re: [CQ-Contest] CW contesting with TS-590SG

To: N9GG <radiodelaware-gofrc@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CW contesting with TS-590SG
From: Thomas Schaefer <ny4i@ny4i.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 12:01:40 -0400
Note I am not discussing the merits of any package over the other, but I will
add that open-source TR4W (www.tr4w.net) does support CWByCAT (full disclosure:
I work on the TR4W development team).

By enabling the option, rather than programming special codes into the command
sequences, the program sends the proper commands to the radio to generate the
CW via strings to the CAT port. Even though you can program the macro keys with
the special codes for your radio to send you info, with the CWByCAT feature,
when you send the other stations call (or variable exchanges like sequence
numbers in other contests), that is generated automatically by commands to the
radio. Conceptually, this is similar to how the programs handle a WinKeyer.
They send text to the WinKeyer and it generates the CW. This works the same way
where we send text to the program as a ‘KY command and it creates the proper
CW. This works for Elecraft radios, Later Kenwoods and later Icoms. Yaesu does
not have the option to send CW directly by CAT even in their latest radios.

My CW memories simply have CQ FD \ \ FD and not any special CAT codes embedded.

I like it in Field Day particularly because I do not have to take a separate
WinKeyer along.

Regards,

Tom NY4I