[CQ-Contest] Another WRTC Thought

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Another WRTC Thought
From: Jim via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2018 09:55:59 -0400
Might consideration be given to making future WRTCs more of a TEAM competition:
make the teams three person teams, with each operator required at least 12
hours of chair time, and nobody doing more than 18 hours?

A few benefits:

1. At least here in the USA as we contesters grow older, 24 hours of operating
plus the time to getting to sites, etc., is a drag on our aging bodies. I’m not
convinced that the ability to stay awake and alert for 30+ hours ought to be a
major competitive advantage. Do we discount the skill of ops in Sprints or
NAQPs because they don’t have to deal with sleep issues?

2. I wonder if the tendency of relatively local hams to win WRTCs is not just
better propagational awareness, but also an advantage of their circadian
rhythms being better adjusted to the local time zone?

3. An extra person to haul all that equipment halfway around the world will
make things logistically easier.

4. More people get to go as competitors.

Every other team sport that I can think of has a bench. Time for Radiosporting
as well?

73  -  Jim   K8MR