[CQ-Contest] 2022 WRTC Thoughts

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] 2022 WRTC Thoughts
From: Jeff Clarke <ku8e@ku8e.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2018 12:27:01 -0400
Wonder if the announcement for the site of the 2022 WRTC will be made at tonight's award dinner? I guess we'll find out later today?

Here's an idea for a future WRTC. Hold it at a location near salt water. (Caribbean island or another near EU)  Each team would be provided with a 12 meter push-up mast, generator, tent, operating table/chairs and would pick a support team. It would be at the discretion of each team to decide what type of wire antennas they could put on this mast.  Wire antennas only - no aluminum beam antennas.  Anyone who has operated at a salt water location knows the magic that occurs using only simple antennas.  This formula would involve an additional strategy for each team. Plus having a support team would be cool. You could involve your friends who attend so they don't have to sit around the hotel or try to find a station where they can operate the contest.  The whole concept is much like auto racing teams ( like F1) who have a support team for their drivers. What type of antennas or operating strategy should I use?  Just like we all do when designing our own stations. This would also cut the expense the WRTC sponsor has to bear for antennas, coax and wire and other physical station expenses.

Hosting a WRTC is a big commitment both financially and the required volunteer resources needed to pull it off. One must requirement is that it be hosted by a big club an in an area where propagation is good to North America and Europe.  It wouldn't be worth the time/expense to hold it at some far flung location. This means that the location would absolutely have to be in North America, Europe or maybe South America.

Congratulations to the DARC and BCC on a very successful WRTC. The reports I've been following on social media have been glowing!

BTW is there ANYONE attending WRTC in Germany who hasn't signed K9PG's WRTC t-shirt?  Knowing Paul for a long time I know he's loving all the attention over this.  It's Dayton and  the Thursday night Hooter parties on steroids!

Jeff

--
*Jeff Clarke*
Information Technology Professional