Re: [CQ-Contest] KH7X in AZ

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] KH7X in AZ
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2018 09:22:09 -0800
On 11/5/2018 9:23 AM, Barry wrote:
In SS this weekend, I worked KH7X in AZ.  is it OK (contest rules, legally, morally) not to sign /W7?

Of course. That's the purpose of sending and copying the exchange!

Sometime in the '70s, FCC Rules made all US calls valid anywhere in the US, including territories and possessions, and eliminated the requirement for sending /n. Before that time, we were issued two licenses -- one an Operator's License designating our privileges, and the second a Station License for a specific address. Now, the address on our license is an address where we guarantee that we can receive mail notices from the FCC.

When a similar question was raised on another reflector yesterday, I posted this.

The contest club of which I am a member, NCCC, has more than a dozen very active members who have kept our non-six-area calls, and none of us ever sign /6. I've never understood why a few guys do -- it takes more time send and copy and log. And I NEVER log /n designators for US calls.

K7SV lives in VA, K5ZD in MA, N8OO in LA, K8TE and N2IC in NM, K6LL in AZ, K2AV in NC, K4XU, W2VJN, KA6BIM, and N6TR in OR, N2BJ in IL, N3BB in TX, K2SX in SC, KU8E in GA, K5KG in FL, K0EJ and W9WI in TN. W0AIH, who we tragically lost last week, lived in WI, where he built a spectacular contesting station. Lots of guys with 2-calls have either moved to or have homes in FL or AZ. K2LE often operates from VT. All are very active contesters, none ever sign /n.

73, Jim K9YC