Re: [CQ-Contest] CM-500 headset.

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CM-500 headset.
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 17:46:11 -0800
On 11/21/2018 4:35 PM, DXer wrote:
Just to clarify, most modern Icoms need an electret element. The SB-40 is dynamic, so a blocking capacitor is needed.

A blocking capacitor is super easy to add. Also, the mic jacks on most rigs I've owned have V+ to power an electret mic on one pin and mic input on another with either a wire jumper or small resistor between the two pins. FWIW, the Koss that K6LL likes is the SB45.

It's nearly always useful to study the manual for our radios to see what options are provided. Elecraft rigs starting with the K3 have a menu setting to turn bias on and off. As rigs have gotten more sophisticated, features like this have been added to many by the smarter mfrs.

73, Jim K9YC