[CQ-Contest] Pileups and calling freqs.

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Pileups and calling freqs.
From: DXer <hfdxmonitor@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 17:49:04 -0500
You guys must be reading my mind. I was thinking about asking, but did not want to start a thread, but now I'll. LOL

Long time ham, but very green on certain aspects of contesting.

I intuitively call a bit off frequency. My question is: How far can it be? My guess is anywhere within the filter BW. For example, if the other station is using a 250Hz filter, anywhere up to +/- 125Hz? Is this correct?

Also, for the very first time I saw a station that appeared to be purposely shifting between CW-U and CW-L. It threw me off at first. I thought my receiver was acting up. Is this a commom technique?

Thanks in advance for the education.

73 de Vince, VA3VF