Re: [CQ-Contest] 160M 'Tests from W6

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 160M 'Tests from W6
From: Jeff Clarke <ku8e@ku8e.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2018 10:24:38 -0500
Jim,

It doesn't make sense for someone in the northeast to listen for the west coast until Europe is gone. Why would you give up 5 point QSO's and a chance to work a bunch of multipliers to focus on listening out west?  I guess I could be considered being on the east coast here is GA but our propagation is nothing like it is from New England to Europe. (Unless you make your own like W8JI :) ) I even get beat out by EU stations calling stations in New England all the time.

Everyone has their advantages/disadvantages in every contest. For the ARRL 160 Contest the northeastern USA has the advantage. If propagation was good next weekend in the ARRL 10 meter contest you would have an advantage out west. The way I approach it is I get on and run some rate, maybe work a few DX stations and when it gets boring I quit.

Happy Holidays,  Jeff