Re: [CQ-Contest] New SO2R trick?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] New SO2R trick?
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2018 10:01:01 -0800
On 12/7/2018 8:48 AM, AB2E Darrell wrote:
I'm annoyed as well. If I call qrl twice with no response I'm going to call cq
and keep the freq.

Several problems with that. First, the guy running on that frequency is trying to copy a weak station that you can't hear. Second, you have noise that keeps you from hearing guys on that frequency. This happens to me ALL THE TIME -- I'm running on 80 or 40, legal limit with a dipole at 130 ft, working east coast stations who have decent RX, and another east coast station who can't hear sends QRL? a couple of times, I say QRL repeatedly, and he calls CQ.

IMO, someone with lousy RX ought to be running assisted so you he can see when a frequency is QRL! Or using a waterfall display showing several minutes so you can see if a frequency is QRL. A decent SDR RX can be found for $150. I use a P3/SVGA, much more expensive. These are are GREAT tool for finding a run frequency that's NOT QRL.

On the other hand, if I'm running and go to the other radio or other VFO to pick up a mult and take too long, losing my run frequency is a risk that I'm taking.

73, Jim K9YC (near San Francisco)