Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC - NOT 2022 BUT THE FUTURE

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC - NOT 2022 BUT THE FUTURE
From: MARK BAILEY <kd4d@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2019 10:32:39 -0500 (EST)
Hi Ria:

I think something like the proposed WRTC-Style M/2 operation is the way to
equalize the "access to big stations" factor in qualifying for WRTC.  This
needs a lot of thought but I think should be considered for WRTC 2026.  One
issue is that there has to be significant competition in this category - a
category that is not supported by the contest sponsors - to ensure the
reference score is meaningful.

The key to reducing the reliance on "big stations" is the antennas - I think
the WRTC-Style M/2 should require a tribander or equivalent antenna at a
relatively low height for 20-10 meters and single wires for 80/40.  I think it
is unnecessary to require tents and generators - IMHO, what that may measures
is, perhaps, dedication and perseverance, but that also makes it much harder to
qualify.

Antennas are the key and what the "big stations" offer.

I also like the idea of encouraging teams to form early - or even having teams
qualify rather than individuals.

I don't think this can be done a month before qualifying starts - participants
need time to plan and prepare.  Looking at the draft rules for 2022, it was
clear that this category would have been a major factor in qualifying from
competitive areas, but it was impossible to do any planning at all without
knowing the details.

This type of operation could be the only category for qualifying, but quite
cut-throat because of the reliance on partners to qualify.

73,

Mark, KD4D