[CQ-Contest] CQ 160 Contest

To: WSJT Group <wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQ 160 Contest
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 23:06:43 -0800
I worked about 12 hours of the contest, and from where I sat, near San Francisco, I heard VERY little QRM from CW ops within the FT8 feeding hole. I did regularly see smart CW ops parked very close to 1840 and 1843. Each time I'd go up and down the band "searching and pouncing" I'd hear no more than one CW op in that spectrum, and when I sent "FT8 FT8 FT8," they usually QSYed, and I don't remember hearing the same offender more than once. Putting this in perspective, I never heard more than one CW station within that 3 kHz segment, whereas, at least below about 1860 kHz, it was common at least 15 stations to be packing into 3 kHz.

My RX antennas allow me to hear reasonably well equipped stations throughout most of North America, so it seemed to me that FT8 operators had no cause for complaint, at least within North America.

73, Jim K9YC