Re: [CQ-Contest] For Sale: fully automated FT-8 QSO Machine customized t

To: "CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>, <ko7ss@yahoo.com>, "Pete W1RM" <w1rm@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] For Sale: fully automated FT-8 QSO Machine customized to your call
From: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 16:31:34 -0400
As a Single Op. Non-assisted kind of guy, I don’t like the idea of computerized
contest stations, although from a tech standpoint I think it would be a really
cool accomplishment if it could be done WELL.

As to whether or not a computerized contest station would be a lid, that
depends on how skilled and ethical the operator is who is programming it and
how they program it.  If you program it to be a lid then it will be.  But if
you program it to operate like a world-class opr. who respects the rules then
it could be interesting to watch and listen to.  We might even learn something
from a machine that is more potentially efficient that a human and
non-emotional.

I still believe that the best skilled humans will beat the best machines on cw
and ssb (not FT8) for two reasons:

1) People doing the programming will not be world class ops. so the machines
will not be programmed to operate with the same level  of skill and
understanding of strategy.  Game over.

2) Humans excel under chaotic conditions when all kinds of confusing and
irregular information is coming in that can’t be anticipated and programmed in
advance for a machine.  A well skilled and experienced human will know what to
do and when to change strategies multiple times in order to post the best
score.  A machine will be left behind strategically on CW and ESPECIALLY on
SSB, where the combination of hundreds of different accents, modified by qrm,
qrn, intermod, flutter and/or auroral effects, would make it impossible for a
machine to compete.

However, if the programming and tech employed is advanced enough to utilize AI
and machine learning, then it could be a horserace after a sufficient learning
period for the machine.  Although the world class opr will still have the edge
as he/she will make instant decisions on propagation paths, bands to operate,
frequencies to use, changes in rate and accent, and many other strategic
factors that the machine will not have in its programming.

The one factor that I could see changing the dynamic is if 2B+SIQ (NOT 2BSIQ)
is used.  With a machine being able to hear 6 bands at once and having access
to 6 radios and being able to transmit on same (although not simultaneously), I
can easily imagine where a really well programmed machine at a great station at
a great qth could beat any opr in a 48 hour DX contest, especially when 3 or
more bands are open simultaneously to run.

No human will ever be able to make 500+ qso’s per hour on CW, although it would
be fun to watch Dan and Chris try.   :-)

73

Bob KQ2M