Re: [CQ-Contest] When is a FTn Contest QSO Complete?

To: Ria Jairam <rjairam@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] When is a FTn Contest QSO Complete?
From: Bruce Horn <bhorn@hornucopia.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2019 20:56:20 -0500 (CDT)
Hi Ria,

Thanks for your reply. It represents the practice implemented by WSJT-X when
the standard messages and sequence are used. However, here are several common
examples I experienced today during the contest:

Example 1: - very common
CQ TEST WA7BNM DM04
WA7BNM K1ABCD EM01
K1ABCD WA7BNM R DM04
K1ABCD WA7BNM R DM04
K1ABCD WA7BNM R DM04
(and so on until I terminate the QSO because no RR73, etc was received, or
maybe K1ABCD finally sends RR73.)

Example 2: - frequent
CQ TEST WA7BNM DM04
WA7BNM K2ABCD EM01
K2ABCD WA7BNM R DM04
WA7BNM K2ABCD EM01
K2ABCD WA7BNM R DM04
(and so on)

Example 3: - probably why you need a confirmation
CQ TEST WA7BNM DM04
WA7BNM K3ABCD EM03
K3ABC WA7BNM R DM04
DX1ABC K3ABC RR73
CQ TEST K3ABC EM03
(huh? what happened?)

In Example 1, I believe the respondent (K1ABCD) believes that all they need is
my acknowledgement of their exchange ("R" and then my grid). This is equivalent
to the typical contest exchange like CQWW. So they think the QSO is complete.
The fact that WSJT-X provides the exchange (grid) in the CQ message starts the
QSO "dance" differently than the typical CW/SSB contest:
WA7BNM sends: CQ TEST WA7BNM
K1ABCD sends: K1ABCD
WA7BNM sends: K1ABCD 599 03
K1ABCD sends: 599 05
WA7BNM sends: TU CQ TEST WA7BNM

It would be beneficial if WSJT-X more closely followed the typical contest
practice, or it needs to be widely publicized whether WA7BNM should have
treated the QSO as complete after K1ABCD's first transmission in Example 1.

73 de Bruce, WA7BNM   (bhorn@hornucopia.com)