Re: [CQ-Contest] Is there any HTTP cluster streams (not telnet)?

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Is there any HTTP cluster streams (not telnet)?
From: Fabian Kurz <fabian@fkurz.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2019 21:18:53 +0200
On Fri, Sep 06, 2019 at 03:20:17PM +0000, Michael Adams wrote:
> There are networks that seem to block by traffic by protocol in
> addition to blocking by port or destination.
>
> I do wonder about how realistic an HTTPS-based cluster protocol
> (plain ol' HTTP isn't quite as deprecated as telnet, but it's
> getting there) actually is for those of us who like drinking from
> the RBN firehose.

it's easy to stream data via http(s). The server simply keeps sending
data and the client will read as long as new data arrives. I
implemented a web cluster with this years ago.

But it's even nicer to use Websockets (over https) because it allows
fully bi-directional communication. I wrote a small Websocket<->Telnet
cluster bridge a while ago: http://fkurz.net/ham/stuff.html?wstelnet

The source code (in Go) is available and there's a link to a site
where it can be used/tested. This site also allows to stream the full
raw RBN telnet stream via Websocket. It works through proxy servers
and generally anywhere where you can "surf the web".

If you need to convert this back to a local telnet port that e.g. a
logging program can connect to, this could be done in a few lines of
Go (which could then be compiled for Windows/Linux/OSX etc.).

(At the same time, it would be smart to wrap the spots into a suitable
message format, like JSON or protobuf, but that's another layer.)

73
Fabian, DJ1YFK

--
Fabian Kurz, DJ1YFK      Munich, Germany
fabian@fkurz.net         +49(174)6926713