[CQ-Contest] Modify AL-1200 HV Power Supply by adding 2 capacitors & ble

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Modify AL-1200 HV Power Supply by adding 2 capacitors & bleeder resistors
From: w5wz@w5wz.com
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2019 18:59:20 -0500
Ray W2RE was with me in the Dayton flea market around 2010 or 2012 when I saw this AL-1200. He told me he had a couple, and they were good contesting amps. So, I bought it. Turns out, his call sign is again associated with this amp as I've had to repair/modify its HV power supply and sought info online.

WARNING – LETHAL VOLTAGES!!! DO NOT ATTEMPT WITHOUT PROPER SAFETY PRECAUTIONS!!! I’m not responsible for what you do with this information!

The Ameritron AL-1200 has a 3,600v power supply. Its filter capacitor bank of eight, 270mF 450vDC runs right at the limit of its design (8 x 450 = 3600). A common modification is to add two additional capacitors, along with the needed bleeder resistors, to increase the filter bank capacity to 4,500v (10 x 450=4,500). Keep in mind that the transformer still puts out 3,600v, so this modification essentially allows the components in the filter bank to have some overhead capacity.

W8JI and W7RY both offer a replacement PCB designed for 10 capacitors.

W1QJ described the way he modified an AL-1200 for W2RE here:
https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/al-1200-power-supply-project.369641/

I choose to adopt the W1QJ method, and show how I did in the W5WZ blog. This will also work in the AL-1500 equally well.

https://www.w5wz.com/2019/09/modify-al-1200-hv-power-supply/

--Scott, W5WZ