Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL Public Logs

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL Public Logs
From: N4ZR <n4zr@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2019 15:59:30 -0500
Oh, no question - way back in the day (early 2000s, I think), I QSLed everything in my logs that was a first for the band and mode.  I used to go through exercises where I would sort my bureau QSLs by country, and for the biggies, weigh the total and figure out how much postage it would take to send them as small parcels rather than through the ARRL outbound bureau.  I remember one mailing that came to more than the $120 I mentioned above.  I really don't resent the ARRL monetizing LOTW, but with the trend toward public log, it just seems to me that it would help encourage casual ops "DXing the contest"  to get on if they knew that their QSOs might count toward one or another award, so long as both parties submitted logs.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at <http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.