Re: [CQ-Contest] New Mult for SS

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] New Mult for SS
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2020 11:38:12 -0400
I take strong issue with this particular statement you are purporting as
fact Jim.(the statement from your previous post which I clipped and pasted
below)

 I just uploaded my 2019 logs to clublog.org a few hours ago.

It shows me as having 17.5K Q's this year alone (<100 Q's might be casual
and the rest are all contest.)

I am sure I have MANY HUNDREDS of Q's with California on ALL bands from 15m
thru 160m in 2019(I worked W6JTI and many other 6's just the other day on
160m). (probably many W6 10m Q's too, but I am not certain)

Even in the CQ-P from Nova Scotia, I operated portable as VE1TTT with just
100w and a mobile antenna on a picnic table and had no trouble at all
putting  100 California Q's in the log for 8 very casual hours of op time.
(40m/20m and 2Q's on 15m)

I routinely work 3 or 4 W6's in the Wednesday CWT's in 30minutes of
mobile-in-motion activity from a MINI COOPER (20m)..couldn't get much
smaller stn than that.

In the Thursday Ns Sprints, it's no trouble to work a few W6's on 20/40/80
with us all at @ the 100w level.

>From home I run big wire arrays on most bands and California is relatively
easy to work for many hours per day.  I am not the biggest stn up here
either.  Just avg on most bands and/or slightly above avg on the low bands.

I just don't think what you're reporting is accurate.  You keep repeating it
and it's just not fact.  We have personally worked many times (even with you
as QRP) so I don't know why you go on and on about us being so hard to work
up here.

As an aside, for an obviously very intelligent man presumably not being held
against his will in California, you seem to complain a lot about the East
Coast working Europe.  You could move if you were so inclined, or what I
would do if I was locked in W6. is I'd work tons more Asian/Oceania and
Domestic contests and try to excel at them instead of the CQWW's. or WAE

The NAQP's and Sprints are a good example of contests which are primarily
won by Western stations (the high bands stay open longer)..15m may not open
and I doubt 20m will be open for more than 1-2 hours next Sat. (It would do
me little good to complain to the sponsor about it). The 7QP and the Salmon
Run are slam dunks for Cal stns I would guess. HI-QP & I am sure there are
many more.

I wish you well in your contesting goals. (but maybe they shouldn't be to
compare your scores against W1's in CQWW/WAE)

p.s.-as far as SS..you only need work "us" on 1 band..not try to work us on
bands that are not open.

73 Mike VE9AA "NB"

k9yc:

".My statement was that for SS, my opportunity FROM NorCal for MAR VE mults
is largely limited to around my sunrise on 15M -- IF we have 15M
propagation. Obviously stations at all locations chose bands on the basis of
where they can hit the mults and make the best rates.."

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB