Re: [CQ-Contest] Not just long calls slowing things down: getting delaye

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Not just long calls slowing things down: getting delayed re
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 19:08:54 -0400
Yup, like most of you, I got called by quite a few of them this past w/e.
Sometimes a mult, sometimes not.  Often loud.  Usually QRQ.

I do cut them a very small amount of slack if they are "loud" (fair? not
fair?) as it's much easier to wait and work them than to start the whole
process over again,.

I'll allow maybe 1-1.5second, then I am CQing, QRZing or just a plain ? and
here we go again.

With most SO2R ops (I'm one of them) you either get a nearly instantaneous
reply or wait up-to 1 second.

I try to keep everything in sync and <1 second.any more than that, and I
feel like I am being rude and using YOUR time.

If I get too busy on 1 radio, I'll abandon the 2nd radio so I either don't
sound like a LID, or use your time for my benefit.

(there's always a couple times/contest I'll fat finger something..and be
transmitting on the wrong radio, but that's not what I'm talking about.(an
extra 5-10 second delay while I straighten things out)

With the M/M's and M/S's that don't have it down pat with their 1 RUN
station and 2 (or more!) mult hunting stations

there's only so much free time before your RUN station needs the freq back.

Worse thing about these inband MULT hunters at the multiops, is sometimes (I
was gonna say often, but that would be stretching the truth to make a
point)..anyways.SOMETIMES, they'll come back up to a minute later with just
a report.

By then I've made 1->5 more Q's and I am like "Who to <bleep> are you buddy
sending me some report with no callsign"?

IMO, you can be SO6R or a M/M with multiple inband mult hunters (and 1 run
stn) but if you're costing me any more than the normal T/R turnaround time,
you're sacrificing my time for your benefit and I feel that's an unfair
practice.  I just move on and I'll likely be a NIL if you come back a minute
later and try to continue where we left off.

Mike VE9AA "NB"

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB