Re: [CQ-Contest] FT4 and FT8 Contesting

To: ed@w0yk.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] FT4 and FT8 Contesting
From: "rjairam@gmail.com" <rjairam@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2020 09:58:57 -0500
RRR or RR73 is a trigger to log the QSO. If you don’t receive it, auto
sequence won’t log the QSO.

Typical CW QSO (using grids as an example)

Them: CQ TEST K5ZD
Me: N2RJ
Them: N2RJ 5NN FN42
Me: 5NN FN21
Them: TU

The TU is the ack. Without receiving TU I don’t know if the QSO is clean.

Equivalent in FT8 is RR73 or RRR. If I don’t receive those I don’t know if
QSO is clean.

You are right that the 2nd 73 is superfluous but there are people who
insist on it and who will deliberately not log you in order to teach you a
lesson.

BTW something else is that the grid exchange seems transposed in
traditional vs FT8 auto seq. The grid is sent on initial CQ in FT8 but not
in CW or SSB.

Ria
N2RJ