[CQ-Contest] Cut numbers and V47T SSB recordings

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Cut numbers and V47T SSB recordings
From: Kevan Nason <knason00@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 10:27:32 -0400
As is often the case there isn't a single answer to giving the state name
or the abbreviation. It depends on your particular circumstances.
Experience tells me some people aren't always as good at copying a state
name as they think they might be. I can't begin to count the number of
times while operating this South Carolina station I hear "Thanks for North
Carolina". I know there are countless other times the operator logs me as
NC without saying anything to let me know they copied it wrong. Due to ham
population density people expect to hear "North" when associated with
"Carolina". I have fewer wrong acknowledgments by saying "Sierra Charlie"
or "Sugar Charlie" than I do when just saying the state name. Lately, I
have been dragging it out by saying "Ssoouutthhh Carolina". That has been
going much better, but I still too often hear "Is it South Carolina?" or
get that "Thanks for North Carolina." reply and have to do the "NO NO NO
NO" song and dance and try to correct it before the pileup draws them on
or, if I'm running, they move off freq.

Errors between NC and SC are so common I've even taken to irritating people
by often saying the state twice, or once state name and then again
phonetically, unless conditions are S9+ with no QRM or QRN. Please forgive
me and understand why I'm now doing that.

Many people have something that gives them a problem to overcome. It's just
part of the fun.

Kevan N4XL
SOUTH Carolina