Re: [CQ-Contest] Long term ionospheric changes (was Magnetic North Pole

To: "Cq-Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Long term ionospheric changes (was Magnetic North Pole Drunkard's Walk)
From: "Keith Dutson" <kdutson@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 08:00:05 -0500
Perhaps this refers to the availability of DXpeditions.  I was in Nicaragua
in 2017 for the CQ WPX SSB contest (we won the world plaque for Contest
Expedition class as multi-single YN2KW), and have had many requests to
organize another trip.  However, the news from my contacts there indicate
the political situation has changed to non-friendly.

The 2017 trip resulted in 1800+ CW contacts from me (YN2MG) during
non-contest times.  This was over the dates 2017/03/20 through 2017/03/28.
There were 26 contacts made on 10 meters 2017/03/26.  I had found an opening
on 15 meters and made the last contact there at 21:47:49, took a break, then
resumed at 21:55:06 On 10 meters.  Sure enough, I worked YV1YL.  But there
were no more stations found.  Then at 21:59:47 I worked P92QT, And a flood
of stations followed suit until the band went long at 22:18:55.  I discussed
this with the team, and we decided it must be a result of the RBN.
Impressive!

73, Keith NM5G