Re: [CQ-Contest] Dynamic Mic. Pre-Amp?

To: k9yc@arrl.net, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Dynamic Mic. Pre-Amp?
From: Joe <nss@mwt.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2020 09:18:30 -0500
Thanks Jim for the info on the Behringer possible Issues.

BUT.. I am looking for ideas of a Mic. pre-amp.

Now some here may have seen the BAD Can-O-Worms that happened on a certain contest club E-Mail list. I do NOT want that to happen here. Please....

But the reply you made below about being not needed is not 100% true. This is where all the fighting and arguing started.

This has to do with specific items. Mainly these three.

1- A Heil HC-4 Mic.  NOT a HC-5 or any other Mic but a HC-4 and ONLY talking about a HC-4.

2- An Icom IC-7300.  NOT a 7000, or a 9100 ONLY talking about an IC-7300.

3- A typical DELL Windows 10 Desktop computer, with a soundblaster soundcard.

The story goes, I bought one of the last headsets that Heil made that still had the HC-4 element in it. I love the sound, it is very similar to the old school Astatic D-104 or the Shure 444. Awesome!

And on my Old Kenwood TS-430S It works great with just the simple 1mf phantom power blocking cap that Heil recommends. But that old Kenwood was designed to work with low level output mic's.

When we wanted to do a Multi op effort in Phone SS we wanted to for sure use that headset and mic.

But when we tried to use it on the stations IC-7300 the modulation was extremely Low. Doing research we learned like on many web sites, and on the Facebook 7300 owners page this is extremely common.

It is sooo common, that even Bob Heil right on his website even specifically covers the subject and says.

Max the Mic Gain, and use the compressor as a secondary mic gain to get enough drive! HEIL EVEN SAYS THIS!
right from their site......

 All Things iCOM

     Microphone Basics

     DSP and Mic Gain Settings

When using a dynamic element on rigs like iCOMs, which were designed for electret microphone elements, one must not be afraid to do two things: _*(1) utilize the full range of Mic Gain available*_, and *_(2) turn on the Compression, using the Compression Level control as a secondary Mic Gain control if necessary._*

I was told and I abbreviate here, this statement is pure "BS" Even tho it is copied from Heils own site.

I tried to explain That maybe for those that it works for are yellers. Guys that always talk very loudly into their mic's. I see it when doing multi op's all the time. And they don't even know or think they are talking loudly. Like this guy, he doesn't seem loud yet he is talking so loud you can hear his voice bouncing off the walls. And as his excitement grows he gets even louder!

https://youtu.be/THXCA-6S_Fc

There under 99% circumstances in my 45 years of being a Ham, I have never had to talk that loud EVER! We always talk at a level that is clear and pronounce as well as possible yet at a volume level that as long as we are wearing headphones our speech is low enough that the others in the multi op effort can actually sleep in the same room!

There never should be a need to have to speak this loudly as in that video. NEVER should it be needed.

Plus, when we wanted to record wav files for CQ's etc. the HC-4 with the blocking cap of course, even with every gain maxed out on the computer, there was not enough audio.

So the station owner hooked up that Behringer,
now the Behringer XENYX 802 has a switchable Phantom power option, which is good because you can't apply any power to a dynamic mic. It may or may not hurt the mic. At best it makes it not work at all. At worst could smoke the thing.  And the Behringer XENYX 802 unit if it put power into the dynamic mic, to the Behringer XENYX 802 unit the HC-4 looks like a dead short, and it could even smoke The Behringer itself.

SO to play it safe Steve put between the Mic, and the Behringer XENYX 802, an Isolation transformer. Heil says to just use a 1Mf cap. anyway this seemed better anyway it provided the isolation from any Phantom power if it should by accident get turned on.

PLUS this unit looks like it is also an Impedance Transformer unit also.

First impedances

The Mic. states it is a 600 Ohm unit.

The Behringer XENYX 802  says it likes a Minimum of 15K ohms and Optimal is around 100K ohms.

Quite a bit of mismatch. Now this isolator/transformer I can not find a LOT of data on. like ratios of transforming or how it even works because the labeling is somewhat confusing.
Make & Model, Radio Shack, 2740017

I know this group won't pass images, but I have the schematic for it, and it shows it and how it can be made to transform high or low.  but it's somewhat confusing.

Anyway the Behringer and this isolator/transformer worked and worked great. We saved a lot of voices from not having to talk LOUDLY. I mean the guy operating could be soo quiet that people still in the room gould be like 6 feet away, and not understand what he is saying because it is too faint.

It is just that it the Behringer is way overkill and large.

A recent QST article describes this exact problem and how to make a simple pre-amp to fix this.

A mic preamp for using a dynamic mic with radios designed for electrets in the Hints and Kinks column of the Dec 18 QST I think it was 2018 year?

He made it very simple, but when we tried we had RF issues getting into it that we just could not fix.

Just looking for ideas of alternatives, and even withwhat is happening with the Behringer and that transformer thing.  being 600 ohm mic and way high impedance on the amp.

Joe WB9SBD