[CQ-Contest] Remote operation by out of staters in state QSO parties

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Remote operation by out of staters in state QSO parties
From: K3TN via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2020 09:56:46 +0000 (UTC)
This issue came up in the WV QSO party a few years ago, when the rules were
changed to prohibit remote operation of in-state stations. A number of hams
who operate remotely, and some who have houses and stations in WV but don't
live their year round, weighed in and convinced the rulemakers to allow remote
operation.
This is a much more common scenario in FL and I suppose these days ME, with all
the remote stations that have gone up in ME.
To me, there are two issues: (1) at the state QSO party level, is there a
problem with in-state stations being remotely opped; and (2) at the state QSO
party challenge, should the cumulative scoring differentiate between in-state
points earned by an in-state op vs. in-state points earned by an out of state
op.
Personally, as someone who has frequently operated remotely, at the QSO party
level if remote operating helps more in-state station be on the air during
state QSO parties, I'm for allowing it.
At the QSO party challenge level, unless all state QPs go the same way, the QSO
challenge would have to do something if it wanted to level the field.
Personally, I don't really care about the points in the SQP Challenge, but
since the 3830 reporting already supports remote operation, it would be easy
enough to differentiate the points in a standard way at that level.
73 John K3TN