[CQ-Contest] Do you have AC in your shack?

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Do you have AC in your shack?
From: K3TN via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 10:06:03 +0000 (UTC)
Technically, no - but in reality yes.
In Maryland, no way I would operate summer contests in ambient temp/humidities.
My shack is in an unfinished, unairconditioned basement - stays cool all
summer, but does get damp so I'd run a dehumidifer.
Two years ago I had to replace my hot water heater and decided to go for one
the high efficiency models that replaces one of the two resistive water heating
elements with one that is heated by a small heat pump at the top of the unit.
Essentially, the heat pump is removing heat from the basement air and using
that heat to warm the water.
Which essentially means it is air conditioning the basement with the exhaust
heat going into the hot water tank. Definitely lowered both my electric bill
and the temp/humidity in the shack.
The downside of course is in winter it is still air-conditioning my basement!
The dry air is not quite as welcome during ARRL DX contest in Feb...
I guess I could rig up a valve so that in the water the condensate from the hot
water heater heat pump would flow into a humidifier tank vs. the sump and then
put the moisture back in the air- easier to just wear a long sleeve shirt...
73 John K3TN