[CQ-Contest] Interest in CQWW - analysis

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Interest in CQWW - analysis
From: Mark - N5OT <r-emails@n5ot.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 10:23:20 -0600
K9YC wrote:

> Thanks for your offer, Mark. It could be a lot of work. The words I chose are descriptive, not quantitative. They will be defined quantitatively by work like you have volunteered to do!

Thanks Jim for such a gracious response.

We can split hair about the word "most" but these numbers below show a definition of "most" can mean "less than half" which I think was why I asked in the first place (since "most" is commonly thought of as "more than half").  As far as measuring degree of turn-on, well, that is above my pay-grade.  How does the old quote go, "I know it when I see it."  Apparently so does Jim but we both measure it differently.  Someone else can tackle that one.  As Ken AB1J posted, a survey could determine attitudes.

In the interest of crowd-sourcing what could be an interesting discussion amongst the enlightened here, I present some basic numbers for last year's CQWW Phone contest (all gleaned from Dr. Google and her World Wide Internet).  The data is at the end of this email.

- - - - - - - - - - -

 Analysis:

1.87% of all hams on the West Coast got on for the contest.

2.92% of all hams on the East Coast got on for the contest.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Definitions:

"All hams" means all hams who have a General, Advanced or Extra-class license

"Got on for the contest" means their callsign appeared at least once in a submitted log

"West Coast" means California, Oregon and Washington

"East Coast" means W1, W2 and W3

"Interest" means percentage of all hams who got on for the contest

"Greater interest" means the percentage is higher

For the purpose of this email, "hams" and "stations" and "callsigns" are all interchangeable.  No allowance was made for the number of operators who may have been on the air using a particular callsign, nor for their license class.  (e.g. Multiop entries).

- - - - - - - - - - -

Other interesting gleanings:

Based on the percentage of hams who got on for the contest:

Illinois showed greater interest than New York
Arizona showed greater interest than Georgia

The top five in order (by percentage) were NH, RI, DE, NJ followed by MINNESOTA

Measured by actual number of stations on the air:

California had more hams on for the contest than any other state
Florida was #2
Texas was #3

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Interesting that more people in 5th-ranked Minnesota got on for the CQWW than people in Connecticut, whether you measure it by percentage OR number of operators.  Conclusion: Hams in Minnesota are more easily turned on than hams in Connecticut.

Data follows.  If you want to sort the columns yourself click this link to download this simple spreadsheet:

http://www.n5ot.com/CQWW/2020-CQWW-Interest-Analysis-Data.xlsx

73 - Mark N5OT
P.S. My work here is finished

Data for 2021 CQWW Phone
STATE NUMBER OF STATIONS THAT GOT ON FOR THE CONTEST NUMBER OF GENERAL, ADVANCED AND EXTRA-CLASS LICENSEES PERCENTAGE OF GENERAL, ADVANCED AND EXTRA-CLASS LICENSEES WHO GOT ON FOR THE CONTEST
AK      1       1567    0.06%
AL      116     6128    1.89%
AR      67      3790    1.77%
AZ      238     10100   2.36%