Re: [CQ-Contest] Santa Fe, NM Contesting

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Santa Fe, NM Contesting
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 22:03:25 -0700
On 5/20/2022 7:44 PM, Alan M. Eshleman wrote:
Jim, how does remoting fit in your scheme?  In general, I agree with you.

I see it as one of many ways to use ham radio. I am very much supportive of what operators of small and large contest stations have managed to stay on the air without endangering their health. I'm also very supportive of, and greatly respect the achievement of those who have automated their station to allow them to run it remotely, and to give friends whose living conditions don't allow a station a chance to operate it.

I see the operation of rental stations, whether run on site or remotely, as very positive when used for honorable reasons by those who can't have their own stations, but very negative when used to move their callsign most of the distance across the US to make it easier to chase awards like DXCC.

I looked at remoting my station several years ago and decided it was far too much work given the way I had built it and my advancing years. (I'm 80).

It should be noted than Alan, who is a great operator, has a rather modest station that he built himself.

73, Jim K9YC