Re: [CQ-Contest] Sweepstakes Scoring Rules for Dupes?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Sweepstakes Scoring Rules for Dupes?
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 21:32:15 -0300
Bill,

I don?t often play in SS (the reason is outside the scope of this reply) and
every contest is different?99.9% of them say to log all dupes.

I just looked over the SS rules and don?t see anything obvious so I have to
presume every time you log a QSO with mistakes, it?s wrong (counts against
you)_ and every time you log a QSO with all the correct info it?s counted to
the good.

I would also PRESUME that if you logged a stn once wrong, and then later (as
a dupe) correctly, say both Q?s on 20m, the wrong QSO would be cancelled
out, like it is in most contests.  That?s why we (sometimes) dupe folks and
?work all dupes? is always the rule of thumb.

It?s up to all players to try and insure they maximize score by:

A) Making as many QSO?s as possible-
and-
B) Making as few mistakes as possible.

Over analyzing this 4 months ahead of time (probably) won?t get you a higher
score. (IE: what possible strategy could you develop if you don't follow A
and B (above) ?

Do the best you can & have fun.

73 and maybe CU next year in SS?there are rumours.

;-)

Mike VE9AA ?NB?

=================

Bill\
The question is how are dupes in the SS treated in log checking. Aside from
the conventional wisdom of not removing your dupes since there is no
penalty, there remains some mystery. Assume have a dupe with a station but
one of the exchanges was not correctly copied by you - either the first or
second. If the first is incorrect is that counted giving a penalty and the
second ignored? Or the other way around? Or if either is correct is the
other ignored and no penalty?

This question has been posed to the ARRl contest manager in several forms in
emails but no firm answer has been provided. Follow up questions are no
longer responded to.

Does anyone know, with certainty, the answer? Perhaps a member of the log
checking crew knows? N6MW