Re: [CQ-Contest] Last Night's Sprint

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Last Night's Sprint
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 18:02:37 -0700
On 9/11/2022 7:14 AM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
Kind of a mixed experience.  My first Sprint in maybe 5 years, and I had real trouble getting into the rhythm of the thing.  If it hadn't been for an N1MM+ message file with some built-in helps, I would have been really at sea. Finally packed it in at 90 minutes, without ever getting to 80.

Hi Pete,

Sprint is, by far, the most challenging contest format, at least for me. It took me a long time to get close to 300 Qs, and I think I might have broken it once or twice. Each year, my 1941-vintage brain falls a bit farther behind.

I was disappointed by the level of operating - particularly by those who continued calling despite the called station having asked for a particular station (with a partial call), as well as those failing to wait until the previous QSO was really completed (with an "R" or other ack).  On the other hand, I made a lot of mistakes too.

Depending on who's hearing who, it can be hard to tell who's TXing -- whether it's the CQing station or the callers. And in Sprint, he who hesitates is lost! Thanks to lightning static, I needed more than a half-dozen number fills; when that happens, I'll send dits until other callers have stopped, then ask for the fill. Only twice did I fail to get it, so those stations lost a Q.

104 Q's in 90 minutes, 38 mults = 3,952 points.  K3/KPA-1500, Carolina Windom at ~40 feet (my tribander is down in the back yard)

FWIW, when we worked, three times, I think, you had a pretty reasonable signal. Don't remember our 80M QSO.

73, Jim K9YC