Re: [CQ-Contest] Whither CQ WW

To: jpescatore@aol.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Whither CQ WW
From: Michael Walker <va3mw@portcredit.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 10:15:35 -0400
The opposite was true for me.  I did 1153 Q's

Way too many American's still operating out of band

*Band  QSOs  Zones  Countries*
------------------------------
  160:   67     4        4
   80:  245    10       18
   40:  201    18       45
   20:  204    17       57
   15:  200    24       79
   10:  236    23       88
------------------------------
Total: 1153    96      291

Amazing all those trying to work Thailand on 7125 LSB on Saturday morning.

When I mentioned on
the air that all you Americans are out of band and you all stopped transmitting,
it did make it easy for me to work him since all the QRM vaporized!

It was actually pretty funny.

This was the first time I have actually done Assisted in some time and
my DX Cluster only receives spots from spotters that are in the NE US
of A.

It sort of was like doing FT8.  CTRL-Up Arrow, call the next guy

in the cluster by hitting F4 and then F2. CTRL-Up again, repeat.   I
would point the beam at Europe and work all the EU guys and walk

the band.

Get to the end of the band, spin the beam to the Carribean and then
work my way down.  Change bands from 15 to 10 and do it again.

I very seldom spun the VFO since I almost never ran out of contacts
for the time I was actually operating

I only ran on 160, 80 and 40 and only for a bit.

 What would happen if we had a contest and ban the use of DX Clusters?
 Would people actually get on the air?

I looked at my cluster (VA3MW-7) and we had over 20,000 spots on both
days.  On a normal day, we would have ~1-2000 on a weekday and about 5000 a
day on a weekend.  For CQWW we had 4 times as many spots.

If you log onto a cluster, you can do a show/hf to get a summary.

Maybe you weren't connected to a fully connected cluster or you had some
filters running.

Mike va3mw