Re: [CQ-Contest] Alfred A Laun, III K3ZO SK

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Alfred A Laun, III K3ZO SK
From: Richard Smith <n6kt1@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 03:37:57 +0000 (UTC)
 This is very sad news indeed. We have lost a great ham and contester.
I have many fond memories of Fred, dating back decades. I worked with one of
his buddies from Thailand, HS1BS, at a company in San Jose. Fred would come to
visit HS1BS when en route to Visalia. I was lucky enough to be invited to
dinners with them (at a Thai restaurant), and then drive with Fred from San
Jose to Visalia with other hams (VA6VEF and others).
Fred was very engaging and helpful, with opinions and stories that kept the
conversation interesting. I learned a lot about the world and about contesting
from many hours in conversation with Fred.
Fred made contact with HK0BKX on San Andres Island, and got me an invite to
operate at his station. It was my very first SOAB Contest-expedition, and it
was a great experience. Then he made contact with a buddy of his in Peru, and I
was invited to operate at the Radio Club Peruano station (4T4O) along with
WA6VEF and N6BT.
When my daughter, Raquel, was appointed to the Naval Academy in Maryland, we
had the chance to dine and talk with Fred a few times. They were good times.
RIP my friend.
73, Rich, N6KT
    On Tuesday, January 3, 2023 at 05:55:21 PM PST, Ken Claerbout