Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest SSB Frequencies

To: pwhelton@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest SSB Frequencies
From: Barry Jacobson <bdj@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 12:43:27 -0400
You hit the nail on the head! That is why since I was a kid was so afraid
of SSB. I wore hearing aids then. But few years back, had to get cochlear
implant. While it is louder, but there are issues with frequency
distortion. Have written papers on Biorxiv.org about this. Was out of ham
radio for a while. But recently got an FTDX101D and I am really surprised
how good the SSB audio is, despite the cochlear implant. If you get the
sweet spot, which is usually where maximum bass is, it sounds to me almost
as good as in person. I set radio for widest response, except maybe roll
off below 100 Hz if I use my Heath SB-600 speaker which has deep bass. I am
still learning SSB, and find in contests some guys use pre-recorded audio
where they swallow their words. No matter how many times you listen to
their call, can't get it. Very important to enunciate each syllable and
character, especially if recording.

Best,

Barry WA2VIU

--