Re: [CQ-Contest] Best Paddles?

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Best Paddles?
From: Dick Green WC1M <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 21:11:34 +0000
The best paddles are the ones that feel smooth and effortless to you and allow
you to send the best CW of which you're capable. To determine which is best,
it's pretty-much required that you try a bunch of different paddles to learn
what you need, what you like and what you don't like. Asking local friends to
let you try their paddles or, better yet, borrowing them for a while can help
if enough CW fans live near you.

That said, personally I've found the higher-end paddles tend to work for me
much better than cheap or minimally engineered/constructed paddles. But that
doesn't mean spending a ton of money will necessarily get the best paddles for
you, and only one thing will make you a truly better CW sender -- lots of
practice!

I have a small collection of very fine paddles: a Schur Profi, a Begali
Sculpture, a Begali Stealth, and two original (not Bencher) N2DAN paddles, one
in chrome and an early one in brass. I have custom-made acrylic covers for all
my paddles to protect them when not in use.

As others have said, the Schur Profi is an excellent set of paddles and I think
easy for most operators to use (though hard to find.) I like my Profi a lot,
but the Begali Sculpture was a revelation when I got it. It fit my style well
and is a pleasure to use. It's heavy, too, for its size. It helps that it's
beautifully constructed, at least from a psychological point of view (makes me
want to send as well as the paddles look!) I thought I'd found the end-game
paddle for me until I took a flyer on a Begali Stealth. It's in the same
ballpark as the Sculpture, but for reasons I can't fathom I send a little
better with it. Both my Begalis have short finger pieces, which can take some
getting used to and some may not like (others may love them.)

And that brings me to the N2DAN paddles. I'd heard about them but never really
paid attention. After getting the Stealth I happened to stumble on a classified
ad for a chrome N2DAN paddle that was in excellent condition and decided to buy
it. I figured the demand is so high that I could likely sell it for what I paid
if I didn't like it. But I fell in love with it. I couldn't believe how much I
like sending with the N2DAN paddle. It's incredibly well constructed, very,
very heavy, highly and easily adjustable, and a great pleasure to use.

After that, I kept an eye out for N2DAN paddles for sale, though I wasn't
actually thinking I would buy another one. I was just curious. Then I saw a low
serial-number brass version on eBay in somewhat rough condition at a very good
price, and bought it as a rehab project. Everything worked and all it really
needed was a facelift and new cork on the base. I spent many, many hours
removing the old, discolored lacquer finish, repolishing and recoating the
metal parts and refinishing custom-made wood paddles to go with it. It's
gorgeous now. I got advice on the project from G0EML, who is the world's
foremost expert on N2DAN paddles. I bought a beautiful, serial-numbered book
from him that he wrote on the history of the N2DAN paddle. It has many photos
of different versions of the paddles. If any piece of ham radio gear has a cult
around it, it's the N2DAN paddle.

Relatively few of these paddles were made by N2DAN -- 301 I believe. They can
be very hard to find and can be considerably more expensive than other paddles.
I've seen them sell for anywhere from $525 to $2,000 for very rare ones
(special presentation versions, gold plated versions, etc.) Sometimes they show
up in the ham classifieds, in reflector for-sale posts and sometimes on eBay.
Note that after N2DAN passed away, his widow sold the specs to Bencher, which
continued to make the chrome paddles for a while, But they're no longer made.
Bencher's retailed for from $400-$600 I think. I believe ARRL tested the
original and Bencher versions and found no difference, but others disagree.
When they appear on eBay, they're at the low end of what the originals sell
for, but not much lower. Near as I can tell from recent SOLD prices on the eHam
classifieds, prices on original N2DAN paddles have come down somewhat to the
$575-$650 range for later chrome versions. I'm sure some of the really rare
ones still go for more.

At the moment there's an original N2DAN paddle on eBay for only $239. It has
the rare button box built-in, though I don't know if that was done by N2DAN or
an owner. If N2DAN did it, then it's probably fairly rare. The ad says it's in
"good working condition" whatever that means. Condition looks fairly good,
though there could be a small ding on the edge of the top block that has the
Mercury engraving. If the mechanism isn't damaged and there are no other
cosmetic issues, it looks like a real bargain compared with prices for new
high-end paddles.

Finally, I strongly agree with K0AV about using feeler gauges and a dynamometer
to set the gap and tension on your paddles. It's not just to get the "correct"
adjustments. Though .3-.9 mm gap and 20-30 g of tension are good starting
points, they may not work for everyone and may not be your preference for both
paddles. Much of the value of these tools is maintaining consistency over time,
i.e., being able to ensure that the paddles are always adjusted exactly to your
preference.

73, Dick WC1M

On 12/8/23, 8:10 AM, "Alan Higbie" <alan.higbie@gmail.com