[CQ-Contest] KL7RA status/fundraiser

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] KL7RA status/fundraiser
From: sbloom@acsalaska.net
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 09:57:47 -0500

For some reason, formatting got stripped when this was sent.  Hopefully this is
more readable.

‐-----‐----------------------------------------------------------------

Hey all,

ARRL DX CW was something else up here.  Of our original 6 ops, 3 canceled at
the last minute.

Given that, I decided the three of us would do a M/2, since in this contest, we
are mostly competing against ourselves, and the Alaska M/2 record had held for
23 years, was fairly close to theM/M record, and seemed out of reach, so might
as well avoid the limits of M/S and just have fun.

Great plan, which as always, lasted about 5 minutes into the contest.  Hour
after hour of 400-450 rates.  Learned that one of my ops, Kent, KL5T is an
absolute beast.  Always knew he was good, didn't know that he was 220+/hour
good.  Our small crew of intrepid, aging, idea of a workout is getting
something to drink from the refrigerator, ops decided to just take it as far as
we could.  I think we all set personal records for BIC time, and had 2
positions on for the vast majority of the contest.

Anyway about those records, yes we did break that old M/2 record.
Additionally,  assuming error check doesn't go too badly, we also set a new
overall KL7 record.

After a day of recovery after a contest, I do a post mortem.  For this specific
contest, about the only thing was, we should have spent a bit more time on 160,
self spotting every 10 minutes,  and tried to drag out a few more mults.

At the same time, I realized that I had run out of time, doing things the way
we always have.  The pattern of last minute cancellations, difficulties getting
people to fly up, airfares getting insane, and remote technology advancing, is
making the current model (a strictly in person, Multi Multi station) untenable.
 There is also the fact that, overall we're a aging demographic and the younger
contesters are continually pushing the boundaries of IT and RF.

I've been talking about this for quite awhile, while not doing much about it,
because I was trying to, as much as possible keep things as Rich had.  I also
believe that nothing can ever quite take the place of a bunch of ops, hanging
out before, during, and after the contest in person.

In the meantime,  thanks to some generous help from Dave  N7NR with equipment,
and the arrival of Starlink, we've finally been able to get remoting up and
running with good performance.   Axel, KI6RRN, now spends a bunch of his time
in Alaska and has done extensive testing, in and outside of contests, and it
works quite well.

Going forward, I believe that a hybrid in person/remote approach is the only
way we can get a critical mass of ops.  I'll be the first to tell y'all that
nobody has ever regretted coming up to operate.  We try to feed people well,
provide good accommodations within the limits of space within a  single house,
(though we also get a crazy cheap rate at a  local b&b, should one want more
space/privacy) and, if I may brag a bit, a location and view that defies
description if you haven't been there.  Still, Alaska is a ancient native word
meaning "Cold place, far away from everywhere, where moose will stomp your
beverages every single **×^×!!^÷^÷^&! year."   We're never going to be
W3LPL/K3LR with half of the U.S. population within a half day drive.

Now  the much less fun part..money.  I've been blessed with the income and
relative youth  to be able to afford to carry this mostly on my own, but, as
time goes on, the age is slowly rising and the income is not so slowly
dropping.   Unless someone is either a mad genius engineer like Rich, who was a
maestro with duct tape,  or has eff yew money,  it's just too much for one
person.  Electricity is super expensive (average about 600-700 per month) ,
there is the "Alaska tax" where the cost of shipping is double-quadruple more
than the lower 48, either paid directly, or if you buy local, reflected in the
price.  Every year  we have to fly in tower climbers from the lower 48.

Put all the above together and it is clear that it is not a sustainable model.

After taking care of my family, my highest priority is to keep the station on
the air.  If it ever does end, not likely that someone would be crazy enough to
try again.  Obviously we do this because it's fun, and a great outlet for OCD,
but I also think we do provide a service to the contest community, by making
Zone 1/AK reliably available on all bands, and outside of contests,  giving
opportunities for modest stations with limited power/antennas.  Heck, we'll
even use FT8 if necessary.  Going forward, it's going to require outside help.
I would like to see us have a higher profile in the local community, I mean,
most locals don't know about Nikiski's #1 tourist attraction!  There may be
opportunities to work with STEM students or do research, and we will be seeking
grants.  I'm also open to investors and eventually, perhaps setting up an exit
path. I'd be happy to discuss further, privately.

If you would like to help, here is a link to the gofundme ...

https://gofund.me/f93770d5

We'll be working on adding more remote

capacity, getting antenna repair work done,

once it is warm enough, and figuring out

how we might more efficiently use our tower

space.

Thank you for your consideration and see you

in ARRL DX SSB.

73

Steve KL7SB

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra 5G, an AT&T 5G smartphone