Re: [CQ-Contest] Melti Band Dipole?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Melti Band Dipole?
From: VE7MHI John D Erskine via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2024 01:40:17 -0700
On 2024.08.29 07:42, Joe wrote:
I have gotten from many people comments saying to avoid any of the OCF Dipole designs, because of Noise. Especially the probable higher level of noise because the place is an "EOC". (Lots of Computers)

They say a OCFD is much more susceptible to letting these noises in.

Yes? NO?

At my home, Noise I have no background in on it being a problem.
It is sooo quiet here that even on a full sized 40 meter elevated vertical, I can have the second level pre amp on, and in an empty spot on any band,
the S meter sits at S-0 or maybe tickling up to a max of S-1

Joe WB9SBD

I dunno Joe. I used a Garant Enterprises GD-8 Windom antenna for about six years, when I had the space. (~137')

I was able to listen well down into Lowfer territory, looking for navigation beacons and such. Was in NW Ontario, and worked coast to coast on 80 m during the PowWow Club. Worked Resolute Bay, CI8C during the Transpolar Ski Trek.

For what you're asking though, I haven't seen any mention of territory/roof space available to you.

Recently, and portable, I've been putting up a doublet. Mine is nominally for 40 m and up, however if you've space you might size it for 80 m. (Mine is relatively low, wire measured as for a 40 m dipole, fed with ladder line, and for the moment a Kenwood AT-230 AMU.)

Other choices might be a large folded dipole, and not last by any means, a large horizontal loop around the perimeter of the roof line.

All the best deciding, however I'd just try a few different things before settling on something. I remind our newer folks, "It's not likely to be your last antenna/rig/____."

73, John
--
John D Erskine