CT-User

CT 9.20 in ARRL DX

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: CT 9.20 in ARRL DX
From: n6ig@netcom.com (Jim Pratt)
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 1995 08:50:47 -0800 (PST)
WE9V wrote:

> I used 9.20 and also 9.15, to see if the bugs I observed were version
> specific, but it seems that it was common to both versions.  The bugs I
> observed were with the bandmap (a great feature) and the announce window.
>

> 2.  Also when entering call via CTRL-ENTER, about 20% of the time, the
> spot would show up as a needed call in the bandmap AND announce window,
> even though it was a dupe.  A pain in the butt, and very misleading.  One
> can blow away the spot from the announce window, but to see that a MULT
> is needed in the bandmap (which you can't blow away) is very confusing!

We noticed this at W6GO in the CQWW contest and reported it as a "bug".
It was obviously still there for ARRL DX.  I agree that it is a problem.
What we saw is that it seems to depend on the size of the log.  At the
start of the contest, it doesn't seem to happen, but after a while it
starts.  Here are my observations:

There are three ways something gets into the "BANDMAP":

1) Work the station, it shows in BANDMAP in black (this always seems to
be the case);

2) The station is spotted on packet, if it is a dupe it seems to show up
in black.  (A corollary to this rule is that if you put the call into the
CALL field, announce it with an ALT-F3, then WIPE it, it will "come from
packet" from CT's perspective and show up in black if it is a dupe).

3) Type the call in the CALL field, put it in the BANDMAP with
CTRL-ENTER.  It is at this point later in the contest, as the log has grown,
that the DUPES start showing up on the screen in the BANDMAP.  At one
time late in the contest, as I was tuning 10 meters, I kept putting in
LU's to keep track of who was where.  It was funny...I had about 10 LU's
in the BANDMAP, and they were all new multipliers/contacts according to
CT!  (I sure wish they were mults, we could have used them!)

As Chad said, you can't get rid of them once they are there...other than
to have them time out!

Here are my "wish list" items:

1) Do the 2-rig output either from the same LPT port with different pins
(instead of a "rig switch" pin), or use two LPT ports.  The advantage of
2 LPT ports would be that you could use common CT-keyer interfaces
between the two ports.  Of course, not many computers have two LPT ports
standard, so that is extra $$$.

2) Add a "point and shoot" function to the BANDMAP, just as in the
ANNOUNCE window.  This would be a great help!

3) Find a way to delete items from the BANDMAP.

4) Add search items to CT for on-line searching, i.e., search for a power
level, mult, etc.  It would be nice to search for that call who is
signing a power "111", but rarely signs the call.  This is a "nice to
have" feature that should be considered LAST after all other bugs are
fixed...

Great program overall!  73, Jim Pratt  N6IG  n6ig@netcom.com

--
Submissions:              ct-user@eng.pko.dec.com